Re: looking for good cordless phone sets

> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >It sure makes more sense to cap the CO2 at the source, rather than way
> >downstream. Trying to modify 100 years of consumer behavior via fiat
would
> >have a minimal impact, at best, on the problem.
>
> I read the article this morning. My view has always been that the payback
is
> higher the higher up the food chain you work.
>
> Only 1/3 of the energy in coal gets converted to electricity so any
> improvement in conversion efficiency gives more power with no increase in
> emissions. If you combine higher efficiency with sequestration it's even
> better. That makes a lot more sense than looking for a few tenths of a
> percent reduction by replacing all residential incandescents with CFLs.

It's an industrial con game.  If they can convince us *we're* the problem
then they don't have to endanger quarterly profits by investing in recovery
equipment.  A country like ours, locked into only how well a company did in
the last quarter, is so near-sighted that "big picture" items like global
warming become a terrible threat to corporations.  There was an article in
the WP about how a teacher's assn. refused free DVD's of "An Inconvenient
Truth" because it might endanger the money they received from the oil
companies.  Just like Joe Camel and Big Tobacco, Big Oil knows they got to
get 'em young to poison their minds.

The big three automakers took a similar approach to both gas mileage and
safety improvements and then reacted like stunned mullets when people
flocked to imports that ranked well in crash tests and mileage tests.  After
a decade or two of trying to punish the consumer for forcing all those
safety laws on them, they got the picture.  Mostly.

To keep this on topic, I've decided that I am going to call my own number as
a poor man's "key lock."  This way, if I bump into any walls and hit redial,
I will only get a busy signal. A pain, but not much harder than activating
the keylock on my cellphone.

--
Bobby G.