Re: looking for good cordless phone sets

"Philip Lewis" <flip+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Our ATT 24?? series phones are giving up the ghost. (some don't ring,
> batteries failing, no handsfree on some units... etc)
>
> I'm looking for a set to replace them, and though it isn't
> specifically on topic per-sey, I thought folks here might know.
>
> Our current system has 1 base which plugs into the wall, and three
> remote phones. (4 cordless phones total.)

I just bought a 3 unit Uniden 5.8MHz set from Walmart for $72 and my only
regret is that I didn't buy 2 for that price!  Model number was TRU-9480-3
and it normally sells for $100.

> Features that i'd like:
> *at least 3 cordless phones, 4 would be good.

Yes! Set comes with a base station, 3 handsets and two handset chargers.
Box says it supports up to 10 handsets.

> *only base unit needs to be plugged in to phone line

Yes.

> *Remote units have chargers.

Yes.

> *Multiple cordless phones can be in use at the same time. (unlike a
>  vtech set my g-ma has, which only allows 1 cordless to be in use.)

Do you mean two units talking to each other while the third is on a phone
call or are you talking about a two-line cordless phone or are you talking
about two basestations operating simultaneously or conference calling
between all handsets simultaneously?  I know you can you can use one set as
a baby monitor and still receive calls on the monitoring set but I haven't
tested the conference features.

> *takes *STANDARD* rechargeable batteries (AA, AAA, 9V, etc)
>  (the current ATT wants a special battery which is just 2 AA cells in
>  a custom holder... cheapest i've seen is $15... that's crazy)

That's gonna be hard to find.  This unit takes a 3 AAA cell NiMH pack with a
small two pin connector.  Easily replaced if you have a source of AAA
soldertab cells and a soldering iron.

> *5.8 might be nice, so it doesn't compete with microwave and wireless
>  network.

Finally, I have a cordless that doesn't "hear" the microwave or tear up the
wireless cam picture.  The sound quality is remarkable.  The phones can be
used a speakerphones as well as baby monitors.  You can also activate the
recorder remotely while on a call to record directions, phone numbers, death
threats, etc. (-:  I get clear reception in every corner of the house and
when the ice clears, I'll check the outdoor range as well.

> *base unit having a battery backup would be nice, but not necessary.
> *headset capable might be nice...although we don't use it now.

None that I can see but if it's non-volatile RAM, it's less of an issue than
it could be.  I keep mine plugged into a UPS to provide phone service during
brownouts.  Not sure how long it will power the unit, but I'll keep an eye
on it during the next power outage.

> *handsfree mode on base (minimally) and handsets (would be nice)
>  (note: if base is corded... the handsfree is less needed there)

Cordless base, no antenna on the handset to gore you when you bend over with
the belt clip on, a handset locator, LED 'number of calls indicator,' belt
clips, 100 number phonebook, wall holders, nice bright orange backlit LCD
display that shows name AND number simultaneously, great voice mail
capabilities (envelope icon on handset connects with base and plays back
voicemail through the speakerphone with nice clarity) and other neat
features like being able to assign special ringtones to specific callers
based on CID.

Worst problem?  No keyboard "lock out" so that if you have it clipped to
your belt and bump into something, it's very likely to try to dial out.  )-:
You'd think in this day and age that a keyboard lock would be universal but
it isn't!  I'm gonna have to make a "dial proof" holster.

--
Bobby G.