Re: looking for good cordless phone sets

> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure this pack has anything but batteries.  Since it's still
under
> >warranty, I am not slicing it open to see!  There's a thin plastic wrap
over
> >the three batteries and I can trace the wiring and the solder tabs with
my
> >finger and I don't see (actually it's more like feeling) any other
> >components.  It takes 20 hours to charge so I am assuming it's very low
> >current trickle.
>
> Typically the thermistor and thermal switch are very small and not
obvious -
> they may even be inline. Here's a Panasonic app note...

You're right.  On the first pack that I examined, it was not possible to see
the small components as they were tucked in the "void" created by the wrap
bridging two cylindrical objects.  I looked at other packs, and the thermal
protectors were quite visible because they were not nestled in the groove
between cells, but right up against the cell.  (Anyone remember that SNL
"Superman in WWII" skit?") Still, if you weren't looking hard, they'd look
like a solder joint.  Remarkable.

So how do the plug-in AA chargers avoid thermal monitoring or am I just not
seeing those thermal detectors/protectors either?  I have *lots* of those
that I'm willing to cut open because I own a Nikon Coolpix battery hog
camera that only runs well on nearly-new NiMh's.  Lots of hi-cap NiMH cells
came with free chargers so I have a box full.

I've finally settled on one make and model of charger because it both
detects bad cells AND chargers any assortment of any type of AA or AAA cell,
even one at time.  More importantly, it never seems to ruin cells by
overcharging them.  That would lead me to believe that it does sense
temperature because it keeps the cells pretty warm but never as hot as other
chargers do.

While I am too lazy to get up and look, FWIW, I believe it's an ULTRA Rapid
Charger and it came with a lifetime guarantee (mine or the company's I
wonder?) that would probably be voided if I looked for a thermistor.  I
suppose it wouldn't have to actually touch the battery.   To look or not to
look?  Hmmmm .......

--
Bobby G.