Re: looking for good cordless phone sets

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>So how do the plug-in AA chargers avoid thermal monitoring or am I just not
>seeing those thermal detectors/protectors either?  I have *lots* of those
>that I'm willing to cut open because I own a Nikon Coolpix battery hog
>camera that only runs well on nearly-new NiMh's.  Lots of hi-cap NiMH cells
>came with free chargers so I have a box full.

I'm not an expert but there are several methods for recharging NiMH cells.
Google on "NiMH thermistor" and you'll find app notes from various chip
manufacturers (e.g. Linear, Maxim) that provide details on their dedicated
chips.

When higher capacity NiMH cells appeared a few years ago there was a guy on
the RemoteCentral forums who proposed manufacturing higher capacity battery
packs for the Prontos. I researched it and pointed him to the resettable
thermal fuses and thermistor he needed. (He had thought the thermistor in
his original battery pack was a diode as it used the same DO-41 glass case.)
Interestingly, he found he needed to sell the battery packs for about $15.

While I have a Sony BC-CS2A charger for the individual cells I use in my
camera I've never taken it apart (it's not readily apparent how to open it)
to see which method it uses. It's limited to NiMH cells. There's a small
aperature that might have a temperature sensor behind it. I found specs on a
different Sony NiMH charger (Sony BCG-34HRMD) that says it monitors voltage
and temperature.

http://davehouston.net