Re: d-day

"Dave Houston" wrote:

> There's new manufacturing technology that, if it proves viable,
> will eliminate the need for coal-fired generating plants and,
> essentially, remove the limits on growth of generating capacity -
> making the mercury in CFLs a much bigger issue.
>
>     [Nanosolar]

Nanosolar's technology has major advantages over polysilicate solar
cells.  It's much chealer to produce and install.  However, in order
for it to become a marketing success the installed product needs to
last ~20 years since it essentially becomes part of the roof system.
Tradidicional solar cells are more rigid and if properly installed
can stand up to many years of wind and weather.  The life expectancy
of Nanosolar's product is as yet unproven.  It's promising but it's
far from a slam dunk success.

> Congress should be passing legislation to help spread technology
> like this...

As soon as we can get rid of Bush we'll be able to enact some good
laws.  Right now he's still vetoing worthwhile stuff.

> rather than rewarding Philips and Wallmart for campaign
> contributions or subsidizing ethanol more than $1 per gallon while
> doubling the price of most food grains.

Your tax dollars at work.

--

Regards,