Re: d-day

Frank Olson <use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Bill Kearney wrote:
>>> Dave Houston is a "cantankerous old curmudgeon" who's been one of the more
>>> helpful posters in this (and other groups) concerning home automation and
>>> X-10.
>>
>> True, but Dave's way off base with this nonsense.  And, as usual, you do
>> nothing other than pile on to throw insults at Bass.
>>
>> For some strange reason Dave's gotten a wild hare up his ass and just hates
>> CF lighting.  Who knows why, and who really cares anyway.
>

>Seems to me the one "throwing insults" is Bass.  As usual.  Everything
>I've stated is the truth.  You have only to examine Bass' USENET history
>(links available on request).
>
>I don't much like CFL lighting either.  It's come a long way mind you.
>We have a couple of crystal chandeliers in our house.   Somehow, I just
>don't think CFL's would look right in them.

Kearney is one of the many folks here who flunked "reading and
comprehension". I have nothing against CFL lighting and have never said it
doesn't save electricity. CFLs have been available for more than 20 years
and consumers have proven that they don't want them by giving them only a 5%
market share. Now, they're being forced on eveyone.

My sole problem is with the numbers used by those who try to tell us it's
going to make a big difference in combatting global warming. Anybody can do
the math - it's about 5th grade level. I've posted statistics from DOE while
the proponents have merely resorted to distortion, name calling and
character assasination. At best, CFLs might reduce US electrical use by
5-6%. Electricity generation from coal accounts for about 40% of carbon
dioxide emissions. The reduction will be wiped out by about one year's worth
of normal growth in electricity use (which will most likely be generated by
burning coal). Do the math.

There are other massive changes in lifestyle that will need to be made to
deal with global warming and all the BS about CFLs saving the world is
counter productive, merely postponing the inevitable.

http://davehouston.net  http://davehouston.org