Re: Momentary contact switch using Insteon?

On Aug 3, 12:46 pm, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> I don't believe it's possible or desirable. It would require continuous
> powerline transmissions, blocking all other activity.
>
> It would be possible if the switch itself sent a single on command when
> depressed and an off command to the same address when released. This would
> leave the powerline free while the switch was depressed but I'm unaware of
> any Insteon switches that can do this.
>
> You might get better answers to your Insteon questions on Smarthome's
> Insteon Forum.
>
>      http://www.techmall.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9
>
> What is it you want to do? If it's something that others might think useful,
> Smarthome might respond by designing/programming a switch to accomplish it.
> You might even be able to do it yourself if you buy their SDK although I
> haven't really looked into whether this would indeed be possible without
> changes to the hardware (i.e. I don't know whether it can sense switch press
> and release).
>

> RickH <passp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Can anyone explain how to create a momentary switch behavior using
> >Insteon?  Where if the user is physically holding down a button then
> >the lamp is lit, conversely, when the user lets go, the lamp goes
> >out.  The lamp should never light unless the button is held down,
> >conversely, the lamp should never go out while the button is being
> >held down.  IOW the lamp is normally off and only on while someone is
> >holding the button down.  Is this possible using any of the standard
> >Insteon products?- Hide quoted text -

I got an answer, however it seems like it will introduce time lag and
using non-wired control always leaves open the possibility of a motor
running when I dont want it to.  So I'm going to use a small ELK relay
board at the outlet and hard-wire a low voltage pushbutton at my seat,
setting up the relay board for momentary mode (I hope).  This way I at
least wont have to run line voltage anywhere.