Re: Wireless surveillance system

On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, "Amadeus W.M." <amadeu...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 02:53:40 +0000, Robert L Bass wrote:
> >> I want to install an outdoor surveillance system around my house. I
> >> have yet to decide whether to go wireless or to run cables. Obviously a
> >> wireless system would be easier to install, but I'm not sure about the
> >> quality of the video transmission.
>
> > There are basically two choices in wireless video: (1) inexpensive junk
> > with no penetration and such short range as to be viturally useless;
> > (2) really expensive stuff that works really well.
>
> >> Also, I'm afraid the neighbors could pick it up (which is ok for
> >> outdoor). Could someone please comment on the pros and cons of wireless
> >> vs. wired surveillance, and possibly make any recommendations? Thanks!
>
> > None of the residential RF cameras are encrypted, nor do they use
> > exclusive frequencies.  Basically, if you send it anyone nearby can view
> > it.  On the plus side, the video is of such poor quality that the
> > neighbor won't be able to tell the difference between "marital bliss"
> > and reading the newspaper.  Of course, after a certain age these may be
> > one and the same.
>
> > If there's any way to run new cables, by all means do so.
>
> Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.
>
> How about this though:
>
> http://www.homeplug.org/products/
>
> If I understand correctly, this technology sends audio and video through
> the existing power lines, kind of like X10 does. Does anybody have any
> experience with HomePlug?- Hide quoted text -

Be careful about putting a lot of data on your home wiring if you
intend on using other PLC devices that control lights.  Baby monitors
are well known for wreaking havoc with x10 systems, (but x10 is pretty
unreliable to begin with).  I would opt for a hard-wired system any
day if you can get the wires pulled, or just make a few of the harder-
to-wire cameras use RF.