Re: Insteon open source WAS: Something else

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:36:50 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
> Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:53:33 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
>>
>>> And, the news that Square-D will be introducing Clipsal C-Bus here is good
>>> news for those building new where they can hardwire. They have a really
>>> broad array of devices.
>>
>>C-Bus has an Open site which has not Open software. Sort of like Open
>>VMS, not very open.
>
> As I understand it they allow personal use of their ASCII protocol with an
> NDA. They require a license (probably with a hefty fee) for commercial use.

I'll have to do more work on that then. If that's the way they are
handling it I should give them a fair chance.

Back on the issue of Insteon. I've made a proposal to Insteon to
provide a support forum to the Open Source community:

http://www.linuxha.com/FD/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

I'll be supporting any effort but not getting support from
Insteon. I'm not going to limit it to just Linux. Lets see how well
this works. I've asked Insteon very specific questions that I won't
detail here. I also need to look at their most recent Developers
Licence Agreement.

Hmm, this will be interesting my contact at Insteon is no longer
there. Looks like I have more work to do.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site