Re: Insteon open source WAS: Something else

Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> For all its defects, X10 did a good job in this area with details of the
>> protocol published early on in Circuit Cellar (with Dave Rye's help). Of
>> course, they've now gone the other way with the CM15A.
>
>This is a shame, it is my opinion that the first challenger to have a
>stable product may very well beat X10 in the HA market. X10 seems to
>be putting no extra effort to challenge the competitors.

I agree. I thought X-10 might respond with something new to protect their
market but, from Dave Rye's posts to one of the myriad of HA related forums,
they appear to be content to rest on their laurels. Or maybe they've decided
to just buy stock in Smarthome.

I think Insteon, with its low prices and fundamentally sound technology has
a good chance to supplant X-10 if they don't continue shooting at their own
feet. A few new third-party products are starting to appear.

And, the news that Square-D will be introducing Clipsal C-Bus here is good
news for those building new where they can hardwire. They have a really
broad array of devices.