Re: Insteon open source WAS: Something else

 Dave Houston wrote:
> Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> For all its defects, X10 did a good job in this area with details
>>> of the protocol published early on in Circuit Cellar (with Dave
>>> Rye's help). Of course, they've now gone the other way with the
>>> CM15A.
>>
>> This is a shame, it is my opinion that the first challenger to have a
>> stable product may very well beat X10 in the HA market. X10 seems to
>> be putting no extra effort to challenge the competitors.
>
> I agree. I thought X-10 might respond with something new to protect
> their market but, from Dave Rye's posts to one of the myriad of HA
> related forums, they appear to be content to rest on their laurels.
> Or maybe they've decided to just buy stock in Smarthome.
>
> I think Insteon, with its low prices and fundamentally sound
> technology has a good chance to supplant X-10 if they don't continue
> shooting at their own feet. A few new third-party products are
> starting to appear.
>
> And, the news that Square-D will be introducing Clipsal C-Bus here is
> good news for those building new where they can hardwire. They have a
> really broad array of devices.

A key to Insteon's success will be the RoZetta product. Not only will it
allow "legacy" controllers to remain viable but the X10 mapping enables
one to use a controller "on the fly" by simply allowing any controller
to operate an X10 mapped Insteon module without registering it.