Re: Insteon open source WAS: Something else

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:53:33 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
> Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> For all its defects, X10 did a good job in this area with details of the
>>> protocol published early on in Circuit Cellar (with Dave Rye's help). Of
>>> course, they've now gone the other way with the CM15A.
>>
>>This is a shame, it is my opinion that the first challenger to have a
>>stable product may very well beat X10 in the HA market. X10 seems to
>>be putting no extra effort to challenge the competitors.
>
> I agree. I thought X-10 might respond with something new to protect their
> market but, from Dave Rye's posts to one of the myriad of HA related forums,
> they appear to be content to rest on their laurels. Or maybe they've decided
> to just buy stock in Smarthome.
>
> I think Insteon, with its low prices and fundamentally sound technology has
> a good chance to supplant X-10 if they don't continue shooting at their own
> feet. A few new third-party products are starting to appear.

I saw the link the other day and that looks interesting.

> And, the news that Square-D will be introducing Clipsal C-Bus here is good
> news for those building new where they can hardwire. They have a really
> broad array of devices.

C-Bus has an Open site which has not Open software. Sort of like Open
VMS, not very open.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site