Re: Using the Sewer Vent for Cable or Cat5e Run?

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:22:04 -0400, krw <krw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <slrnegm3nu.lm9.ZsdbUse1+noZs_0609@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> ZsdbUse1+noZs_0609@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> to 801.11g.  No video is pretty decent, but I find myself wanting to

That should have been "Now video is pretty decent."  :)

>> copy 1gb to 8gb files between systems.  Time for copper.

> Are you going GbE?  I don't see the huge gain from 54Mb to 100Mb.

The difference is HUGE between wireless 54Mb and 100baseT ethernet.  For
one, you really get 100Mbit on the ethernet.  For another, you get
full-duplex.  I've never seen 54Mb come even close to 54Mb thruput in
any realistic scenario.  Since it is only half-duplex (only one side can
transmit at any given moment) about the best you get is 25Mb.  Then
consider that the collision domain is _every_system_ on the wireless net
and your thruput goes way down.  I'm actually running one 'G' and two
'B' nets at home, using all three non-colliding channels, just to
seperate traffic.  :(

I'm contemplating GigE.  Like you, all I need is a switch.  When I see
a deal I can't refuse, I'll jump.  The rest of the infrastructure is
ready.

> I'd put wires where there would be computers and in the basement
> and such.  I don't think I'd wire the living room and dining room

Wire dual runs of Cat5 or better to anyplace you might want TV or audio.
Digital media distribution is the future, and Cat-5 means you can get
not only the content, but with power-over-ethernet (POE) simple devices
won't even need a power cable.  But your entertainment center definitely
needs network connectivity.

I'd recommend you consider wiring dual runs pretty darn near everywhere.

> can be replaced.  Same for the entertainment center.

Definitely.

In the future I expect something far better than 802.11 for wireless, or
else networking will be wired in homes the way power was wired 50 years
ago -- outlets in every room, on most walls, but never enough or in the
right place.  Unlike power which had to be codified to force outlets
every 12 feet and on every wall, the haphazard approach for networking
will probably be good enough, since 802.11 can fill in the gaps.

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com