Re: Using the Sewer Vent for Cable or Cat5e Run?

In article <slrnegm3nu.lm9.ZsdbUse1+noZs_0609@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
ZsdbUse1+noZs_0609@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:49:57 -0400, Keith Williams <krw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In article <84hcz9880e.fsf@xxxxxxxxx>, t@xxxxxxxxx says...
> >> Start pushing video or a large volume of photos across to a network
> >> drive on a home network like many media creators do, or appreciate how
>
> That's the issue I have, and why I'm planning for more copper.  I can
> stream mp3 over 802.11b with no problem.  Video was iffy, so I switched
> to 801.11g.  No video is pretty decent, but I find myself wanting to
> copy 1gb to 8gb files between systems.  Time for copper.

Are you going GbE?  I don't see the huge gain from 54Mb to 100Mb.
My laptop and desktop have GbE, so all I need is a switch. ...but I
don't see a real need.

> Before purchasing this place I had plans to build and wire oodles of
> cat-5 everywhere.  In spite of the advances in wireless, for anyone
> building or extensive remodeling I _strongly_ recommend copper in the
> walls.  Wireless is great for its niche, OK most times, but copper is
> great most times so put it in if you can!  It is trivial to add wireless
> if you want to try it or need it for its niche.  Copper if you can.

I'd put wires where there would be computers and in the basement
and such.  I don't think I'd wire the living room and dining room
though.  We're thinking about building a house (for retirement)
soon, and would likely put in conduit to the basement so the wires
can be replaced.  Same for the entertainment center.

--
  Keith