Re: DirecTV In multiple rooms

news.comcast.net wrote:
> Followup to my earlier post:
>
> A replacement DISH receiver arrived yeserday.  This morning I installed it,
> tied to connect.  No joy.  I called DISH, spent 20 minutes with the level 1
> tech-drone, who tried to sell me a DISH Protection plan.  I said no, make
> this work.  She said the only way to fix it was a $99 service visit.  I said
> no, fix it free or give me back my money and cancel the acount.
>
> She switched me to a level 2 tech drone.  Same conversation.  They're coming
> out on Tuesday afternoon.  If they don't fix it then we'ere done.  Idiots!

Geez Robert, I thought you were a reasonably competent tech type person.
Installing or repairing a dish system is a simple task. The steps
involved are the same. You should always start (or verify) with step one:

1. Locate a mounting position with clear view of the sky in the
direction of the satellite position.

2. Make mounting pole plumb.

3. Rough in azimuth and elevation on the dish mount.

4. Connect 1 receiver with TV in view of the dish location and fine tune
azimuth and elevation using the installation menu.

5. Tighten mounting hardware.

6. Ground the dish per NEC.

7. Run cables to receiver locations.

8. Connect switches as needed.

9. Connect receivers.

10. Run through setup.

I wouldn't spend 20 minutes on the phone or waiting for these guys to
show up. Mounting/repairing a dish system is DEAD simple in most cases.
The installation menu in the receiver provides all the information you
need for azimuth, elevation and fine tuning.

Dish Network survives because they offer a good product at a fair price.
I have found their telephone tech support to be reasonable when asked
reasonable questions. Their equipment is reliable (when installed
properly) and offers decent value for the money. I wish their PVR
software was better but once you are used to ReplayTV the bar is quite high.

I have known a few DBS installers and there in NO money in doing
installs for the DBS companys. Unless they are able to generate side
income from upgrading the installs they don't last long.