Re: A mentor / Advisor ?

"Dean Roddey" <droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> You say, "Some folks have larger systems" and earlier you referred to
>> seeing
>> several threads from people who had tried both Insteon and Z-Wave. URLs to
>> any such threads would be welcomed by those here trying to decide between
>> the two. Reports from installers whose profitability depends on
>> reliability
>> would be especially welcomed.
>>

>I don't have them handy. Go to cocoontech and search for Chris Walker. I'm
>sure you guys could have a good debate.

Dean,

I have very little respect for cocoontech. I think it is far too "gee
whiz-ey" and "wide-eyed boosterish", consisting mostly of press releases
from manufacturers and run by techno-incompetents.

Never-the-less, I spent a few hours slogging through this thread...

     http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4294&st=0

It seems to end abruptly a few months ago but I cannot tell whether that's a
problem with my browser (Firefox 2.0) or a problem with the site. The
participants are ill-informed. For instance, one says Z-Wave is new to the
US while it's actually the oldest of the 4 protocols discussed.

The thread is dominated by one individual who says he wrote Insteon software
but became disillusioned and switched to Z-Wave.

Having tried his Insteon software (and exchanged e-mail with him) many
months ago, I suggest anyone who is interested d/l and try his Insteon
software before deciding how credible he is. I suspect he had difficulty
stacking one block atop another back in kindergarten. You might also wonder
why he continues to post warm fuzzy messages to the Smarthome Insteon forum
(even as late as today). Methinks there's something rotten in Denmark (or is
Zensys in The Netherlands?) And, even he says he would have stayed with
Insteon except for Smarthome quality issues (which I've noted elsewhere).

Chris Walker jumps in several times. It's unclear to me whether the $49.95
SDK he refers to is the same SDK that Zensys wanted $10K for. I surely hope
not! Can you enlighten us?

It's also unclear to me whether the various controllers mentioned
interoperate. I've read that they do not.

Finally, can the devices from various manufacturers send instant level
feedback and can the various controllers import the routing tables created
by the latest controllers?

To be frank, I don't think you understand any of this!

http://davehouston.net