Re: A mentor / Advisor ?

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:zM6dnbVjI8xIBs3YnZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> I wouldn't invest in Zwave based on those comments and not a single one of
> them was made by Dave (or me, for that matter).  They were, in fact made
> by
> Dean Roddey, Rich of Homeseer and others.

To be fair, some of my negative comments were refuted, and they are based on
first generation stuff. As I said in that thread, maybe things have gotten
better.

You don't HAVE to use a laptop to carry around, it's just one of the
options. The other is to just carry around a Z-Wave remote control, add the
modules to it, and then replicate that to the PC (which is acting as a
static controller.) The remote remains the master controller.

Z-Wave is far from perfect, but I think I'd choose it over Insteon. That's
not based on personal experience (well not with Insteon, I do use Z-Wave),
but just on reading a lot of threads on the relative merits of the two by
people who do use them.

Ideally, I'd never use any wireless or powerline scheme for something as
important as lights and thermostats and such. But, I live in a small
apartment and can't do otherwise for now.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd
www.charmedquark.com