Re: The problems with X10 ...

accidental plumber wrote:

>>>One special 3 phase socket in the utility room for the
>>>dryer and washer.  But my washer don't need it and I use gas for my
>>>dryer.  As my house isn't that big, having one columns of breakers in
>>>the distribution box rather than two columns, I think all the lights
>>>and sockets of interest are on the same phase.
>>
>>That is NOT a 3-phase socket idiot! It's a 240V dryer outlet which is single
>>phase.
>>
  > Now you understand what I mean by over the top.  Everybody talk about
> needing phase coupling as a solution without taking about the
> likelihood of it.  My socket has 4 pins and 3 phase is a logical
> deduction.

It is only a logical deduction if you don't know much about North
American residential electrical wiring. Simply looking at the entrance
wiring or panel will show a experienced (or even accidental) electrician
if the premise has split phase or 3 phase service.

The socket you describe has 2 hot phase wires, 1 neutral wire and 1
ground wire. It is a common 240VAC socket and required since 1996 NEC.

Due to your "logical deduction" skills I would put you at about a 8 on
the dangerous scale.