Re: The problems with X10 ...

"accidental plumber" <aplayerinla@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Come on, who's everybody at 1999?

What the hell does that senseless drivel mean?

>If you search around for info, this is precisely what you get, over the
>top as I already stated.  Basically you are telling people on a budget,
>who won't change a light switch, not to get into X10 and carrier line.

Can you even read past the third grade level? I usually tell people how to
make X-10 work without having to spend much money. The difference seems to
be that I know what I'm talking about while you remain totally clueless
while presenting yourself as an expert. I got into HA because it offers
those with disabilities (and without a lot of income) ways to control their
environment.

>And that you don't need to throw a lot of unnecessary money and time
>for nothing.  And you don't need to do trouble shooting.  I already
>done the work for you.  If you follow my 1,2, 3's.

As I said, you are clueless and anyone who follows your advice will be
equally clueless.

>Come on, typical, it's not just the signal meter, you need the
>transmitter as well.  Buying all that, more expensive than most kits,
>to decide whether you need a $10 blocker ?!  Is that over the top or
>what?

There is no need for a special test transmitter as you want to measure the
signal from your standard transmitters in situ.

>> "X-10 security" is an oxymoron. I can disarm any X-10 security console in
>> less than 30 seconds from outside the residence without physically touching
>> anything.
>
>That is typical of wireless security systems, but you forget that I
>have perimeter defense and double or triple protection for cheap.

No, it is not typical of wireless security systems. Most others have some
semblance of security - decent systems utilize rolling codes - X-10 has
absolutely no security. I don't have to get inside your "perimeter defense".
I don't have to jam it. I merely have to send all 256 possible ID codes plus
a disarm code via RF and there is absolutely no way you can prevent it short
of turning off your X-10 security console.

>I'm telling you, with my now expert insight, that one moron...

We can agree on one thing - you should have expertise on morons - you most
certainly are one.

>For
>noise to turn on or off a light by itself is statistically unlikely
>event, unless you are constantly bombarded by strong noises, or the X10
>physical and protocol design is really stupid.  If you keep your signal
>strong by blocking the electronics, noise is much less of a problem.

Spikes from motors starting/stopping or from fluorescents being switched off
can directly affect many X-10 wall switches causing them to turn on or off.
This happens in the absence of X-10 signals so neither signal strength nor
the details of the X-10 protocol is a factor.

>One special 3 phase socket in the utility room for the
>dryer and washer.  But my washer don't need it and I use gas for my
>dryer.  As my house isn't that big, having one columns of breakers in
>the distribution box rather than two columns, I think all the lights
>and sockets of interest are on the same phase.

That is NOT a 3-phase socket idiot! It's a 240V dryer outlet which is single
phase.

Killfiles were made for morons like you.

http://davehouston.net