Re: Compact Fluorescent Noise

Hello Jeff,

>>Depending on how your house is wired, you might be able to isolate the
>
> CFLs
>
>>on their own circuits with minimal filters. If I understand what he's
>>saying, that's what Jeff Volp has done. It does mean you cannot automate
>
> the
>
>>CFLs using PLC methods but can use PLC on all the other circuits.
>

> We use CFs in almost all our ceiling cans.  Each switch controls a string of
> up to 5 of them.  One small Leviton 6287 noise block is installed between
> the X10 switch and the lighting string to isolate all CFs on that circuit.
> It fit behind the X10 switches in each of those electrical boxes.  The 5 amp
> rating means those circuits will also handle normal incandescent lights.
> The Ocelot has access to all of these lights.
>
> We do have one circuit isolated by the large 20A XPF filter.  That circuit
> is on the non X10 phase, and feeds most electronic devices, computers, etc.
> It was intended as an emergency power circuit, but also serves to isolate
> all potential signal suckers from other household circuits.  We also have a
> couple of "private" X10 devices on that circuit that are locally controlled.

On really bad polluters such as the printer/scanner in the lab I often
use ferrite toroids. I leave the wire a bit longer and run it a few
times through the core. That takes care of hardcore RF noise. Of course
one has to mind the max current and limit the number of turns in order
not to saturate the core. Also, cores are conductive, they must be
isolated and mounted so they can never touch live mains contacts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com