Re: Compact Fluorescent Noise

"Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Insteon users will also need filters with noisy CFLs.
>
>That is why I tentatively decided to go with Z-Wave

Depending on how your house is wired, you might be able to isolate the CFLs
on their own circuits with minimal filters. If I understand what he's
saying, that's what Jeff Volp has done. It does mean you cannot automate the
CFLs using PLC methods but can use PLC on all the other circuits.

I'm not a fan of Z-Wave so haven't thought through how they might work in
this scenario - dimmers may still have problems with the CFL noise but
relays are probably OK. Despite its being around much longer than UPB or
Insteon, there have been very few (aside from dealers and one nincompoop who
apparently is unaware that we signed an extradition treaty with Brazil in
the '60s) who have posted here in favor of Z-Wave. I'm sure there are people
who will want to hear about your project as it progresses.

>> "free, clean and constant energy."
>
>Damn I home so.  The initial owner/builder of this house had a recessed
>light fetish...42 of them in the house, each with a 65 watt R30 in it.  The
>CFL equivalents work quite well except that they need to warm up for about
>15 seconds to reach full brightness.  Thats not a good idea in the kitchen.
>LED based bulbs are not quite up to that level of lumens and format yet, and
>may not be for some time.  For now I am faced with using CFLs, larger power
>bill, or retrofitting surface mounted long tube floursecents.  Given the
>WAF, I think its the wallet issue for now.

Given that Steorm is an Irish company, I worry that their process may
involve leprechauns and fairies but, since for all we know, 96% of the
universe could be strawberry jam, I'm willing to wait and see. ;)

On your CFLs, the PDF from PG&E which I cited earlier has a pretty good list
of CFL Dos & Don'ts.

>> Of course, we all know that the DOE programs to encourage (and subsidize)
>> CFL development don't cost anything. ;) Well, maybe Ph. Ds who've spent
>> their life in government funded programs don't realize that but the less
>> exalted do.
>
>Prop 87 in CA is more of the same for reaseach money.  So. Cal Edison is
>really pushing CFL, giving them away/exchanging bulb for bulb.

My first (and last) CFL was from a similar program from ConEd (Chicago) more
than 20 years ago. It died in a matter of weeks so I've been more leary (and
less green except around the gills) since.

Hmmm, I wonder what So. Cal Edison does with the incandescents they trade
for?

>> Oh, and the cost of returning a warrantied CFL is likely to approach or
>> exceed the purchase price even using the mail with free pick-up. If you
>> choose to just dispose of it, it constitutes hazardous waste.
>
>I had missed that part of CFLs until recently.  Local trash company does not
>seem to care.

The greenies are just starting to get organized on this so I'm sure that
will change. It's more of an issue with commercial buildings which may have
lots of CFLs than with a single family residence.

>Our story is that we bought (vice built) our new house.  Could not pass on
>the the $200K price savings.  I had planned a hardwired HA installation to
>rival Bruce.  However, I am now faced with retrofitting a large single story
>house on a slab with a hip roof.   It has no security or network wiring,
>only 6 RG-6 drops, no provision for the cable modem/router, and the phone
>wiring is daisy chained.  This in a 6 month old home high end home!
>802.11n, Elk, and Zwave and here I come.  Going to open the walls in the
>finished garage to mount the cans and get some wiring into the attic.

Good luck and send us periodic progress reports.

http://davehouston.net