Re: Compact Fluorescent Noise

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I think the economics are marginal but I have to qualify that somewhat
>> because I've recently had a rash of sort-lived incandescents. Either the
>> change in ownership of Cinergy (now Duke) came with a change in power
>> quality or the bulbs I've been getting in the past year are much lower
>> quality than those I got in the previous 8-9 years.
>
>I've noticed the same thing and went Googling a while back when you first
>reported premature failures on bulbs connected to an LM14.  We're not the
>only ones to notice lightbulb longevity ain't what it used to be.  Still, an
>incandescent bulb costs me a quarter and most CFL's cost at least 10 times
>that amount.  Whether it's bad voltage spikes, bad manufacturing processes,
>bad QC or just plain ol' bad luck I don't know.

Since replacing the LM14A with a Smarthome 2000STW, I've had two more
failures. Both came after the lamp had been on for a few hours. Most of my
other failures came when a lamp was first turned. It may be that the LM14A
going loco was not a factor in the premature lamp failure but was merely
coincidental.

http://davehouston.net