Re: Compact Fluorescent Noise

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Another thing that I've found changes the equation is that none of the CFL's
>I've purchased have come anywhere near lasting their rated lifetime.  It
>seems that the early "lifetime" guarantees given when CFL's first hit the
>market have been slowly replaced by ten and then five year guarantees and
>some packages I've seen have no warranty at all.

Well, I didn't mention that because every time I've mentioned it in the past
it has triggered a lengthy harangue from the local village idiot. ;)

It's hard to get reliable statistics but a Google search will turn up enough
reports of short lived CFLs from reputable sources to indicate this is a
real problem. I've read that the quality of the phosphors available in China
are the problem.

I think the economics are marginal but I have to qualify that somewhat
because I've recently had a rash of sort-lived incandescents. Either the
change in ownership of Cinergy (now Duke) came with a change in power
quality or the bulbs I've been getting in the past year are much lower
quality than those I got in the previous 8-9 years.

http://davehouston.net