Re: is x10.com dead?

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:13:41 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <FSiNf.482507$qk4.143199@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>What is wrong with an irrigation controller run by X10?  The Ocellot
>tunes the cycles to temperature and seasons.  A Leviton 16400 indicates
>which zones are scheduled for watering that day.  And if things look a
>little dry in the 110+ heat of summer, a simple press on that 16400
indicator will trigger an extra cycle for that zone.  The only "failure"
>we've had was one of the valves stuck last year.  I think some grit got
>in the line when they tied in a new house down the street.

Another button pushed ;-) I have a Leviton 6400. Would you like it free?
The design was defective. It _never_ worked. It was very expensive at the
time ($80??) Leviton replaced it in the catalog with the 16400 but left
the purchasers of the 6400 like me in the lurch.

If you have an Ocelot, that in turn has the ability to control low-voltage
relays connected by a single low-voltage RS-485 twisted pair to control
the low-voltage that the irrigation valves require, why do you have a
"X-10 irrigation controller"?   What you describe is not an X-10
irrigation controller as I understand it. It is (effectively) a momentary
SPST input to the Ocelot carried over the AC line. Quite a different
matter.

( I also have a deeply ingrained suspicion of the combination of amateurs,
lethal voltages, and water  -- think farmer-electricians, well pits and
big electrical pumps. One of those combinations almost sent me to my maker
in 1971 while doing hydrologic field work  ...so I am not entirely
rational on the topic. )

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.EControl.org