Re: is x10.com dead?

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 05:13:04 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <A3aNf.2113$J02.135@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Twenty (20)  INSTEON ICON dimmers, modules and(or) switches  + bridge +
>> USB/RS-232 controller + table-top controller cost about $530 at retail,
>> shipping included.
>>
>> This is about 2/3 of what a fully Leviton X-10 system would cost and is
>> much, much more robust, and much faster (yes, fast is much better than
>> slow  once you've experienced it).
>
>That is a new switch that was certainly not available when we selected
>Leviton several years ago.  Looking at the other products in the Insteon
>line, many are missing.  Where is the switched outlet?  Where is the
>irrigation controller?  Where are the floodlights?  And the 1000 watt
>switch we used for the high wattage circuits isn't so cheap.  Neither is
>the relay switch we used for all the fluorescent circuits.
>
>Nah, it ain't there yet.
>
>With 99.99% reliability, I'd still choose high quality X10 compatible
>devices today.
>
>Jeff

Switched outlet:  The X10/Leviton SR227 switched outlet (ABIK the only
available X-10 switched outlet) is an example of the contempt those
companies hold for their customers. The X10 and Leviton models are
identical, and both are known pieces of excrement that have the same small
plastic part that breaks. All but one of the ones I've had  broke. It is an
example of why X-10 could not migrate (despite the best efforts of IBM,
Sears, Tandy, Stanley and others) beyond the hometoy class. Had I needed to
call an electrician to replace the switched outlets, the cost would have
been several hundred dollars. Hardly economical. Had I depended on the
switch to do something important, I would have incurred even more losses.
FWIW, a switched outlet can be functionally replaced with an appliance
module.

Irrigation controller using X-10? ROTFL --  Rube would be proud.

Floodlights: I have used X-10 Stanley floodlights for years, but not as
X-10. They are trivially hooked up to a wall switch (INSTEON, DMX, manual,
whatever)  and the X-10 disabled. I bought them cheap when they were being
dumped on the market when yet another company tried to cut its losses
incurred by dealing with X-10.

Relay switch: The ICON relay wall switch exists and costs $19.95. I have
several. Same gold-plated quality . The enclosed relay is rated at 16amps at
125 or 250VAC.

High wattage switch: If you can pay for 1000 watts of lighting why can't you
afford $10 bucks more for a dimmer that still costs same/less than the
comparable Leviton ? Also, the INSTEON equipment has better heat sinking
than the X10 and Leviton stuff I've seen. Larger and no heat sink tabs that
have to be cut off when switches are placed side-by-side and so derated.

Still asking your dentist for silver amalgam fillings and backing up on
floppies? They were fine in their day too...

Jeff: I'm not trying to criticize you, or the decisions that you made before
the availability of better choices than X10.

What I would prefer not to witness in this newsgroup is others being sucked
into the abyss that is X-10 when there are less expensive, more reliable,
more expandable, faster, easier to install and easier to maintain
alternatives that unlike X-10, are not just throw-away hometoys (my
opinion)..

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org