Re: is x10.com dead?

> ( I also have a deeply ingrained suspicion of the combination of amateurs,
> lethal voltages, and water  -- think farmer-electricians, well pits and
> big electrical pumps. One of those combinations almost sent me to my maker
> in 1971 while doing hydrologic field work  ...so I am not entirely
> rational on the topic. )

Marc,

You'd just love the "modern" Brazilian answer to water heaters.
Older heaters are gas-fired boxes on the wall in each condo.
There's a pilot light but almost never a thermal shut-off to stop
the gas when the pilot goes out.

The new, "improved" models are different.  Instead of heating
water for the whole house only the shower water is heated.  This
is accomplished via a 220 Volt, ungrounded heater which is
mounted directly to the shower head.  Almost none of these units
are sealed so there's almost invariably leakage.  Touch the
shower head while your foot is on the drain and you're in for a
nasty surprise.  :^)

Our handyman installed new shower heaters in the bathrooms,
through-the-wall air conditioners in the bedrooms, ceiling fans
and overhead lights everywhere, etc.  He needed to add a 220V
outlet in my office.  Since we're on the fifth floor of a nine
story, cement building, he had to rout the wall to install the
wires.  I watched in amazement as he chiseled out a 1" wide by 1"
deep channel, into which he planned to install a flexible,
plastic tube to pull the new conductors -- both of them!

It was at that point that I explained that I wanted everything
grounded and that the conduit had to be at least 3" into the
wall.  The gentleman was astounded.  He'd never heard of anyone
grounding a water heater, much less an outlet.

We managed to get it done right but it took some prodding.  Next
year we hope to buy a newer place with more room for guests and a
better office for me.  From what I've seen so far, I'll probably
have to supervise the construction pretty closely.  The attitude
seems to be that anything that won't be seen doesn't matter.  :(

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.