Re: I think they've done it again.

news:4496f127.212836578@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<stuff snipped>

> Smarthome says it's due to a faulty component in the switches and that
> getting a "fix" out to users is complicated by the need for ETL
(competitor
> to UL) certification.

I think they're being truthful, if only because they suddenly lost interest
in examining any more defective units that customers offered to send in.  I
have a feeling that their fix is going to fix some, but not all, of the
reported problems because, as you pointed out, the symptoms vary so wildly
from installation to installation.

As you also pointed out we're limited in what we can deduce without more
details.  It will be interesting to see how they handle this.  I'd like to
know what percent of their user base is affected.  I would hazard a guess
that they are also being truthful in stating this is not a common problem,
or else it would have likely shown up during the beta test.

Also, how can a defective switch "blow" a normal bulb?  Sounds a little
"off" to me.  Bulbs should only do that if presented with a voltage way over
their rating.  I suspect miswiring, perhaps bad enough to feed 240 into a
120VAC device, at least in the blown bulb reports.

--
Bobby G.