I think they've done it again.

In my Insteon Review a few months back I wrote...

<quote>
I'm impressed with the concept and, so far, with the execution but am still
leery because SmartHome has such a poor track record. I also do not have
problems with X-10 but do understand that others would probably prefer
something that is more reliable (in their view) and easier to install so I
hope that Insteon will succeed. The prices are attractive.
</quote>

It now looks like they are well on their way to turning a silk purse into
just another sow's ear.

There are numerous complaints that center on two issues. One is with units
that flicker on and off, in some cases shortening bulb life. The only
explanation I've seen doesn't appear to address the various reported
scenarios (although it may be that some reports are related to user
inexperience or ineptitude).

The second major complaint is that there is little to no useful software
available. I think this is directly related to their inane license
restrictions (as well as to the underlying SALad language).

While I've only recommended that those who are new to HA should investigate
Insteon, I now feel I have to recommend waiting until these issues are
resolved.

You might want to review this long thread on Smarthome's Insteon forum...

     http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=180&whichpage=1