Re: discussion groups?

news:4487dea8.62731640@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> >> this remains the best place to get knowlegdeable answers about a
variety
> >of
> >> HA topics.
> >
> >Except for spelling.  (-;
>
> That's just a misfire between brain and fingers. I have to type with one
> hand (with fingers that have less than normal sensation) but still
touchtype
> after a fashion so sometimes siht happesn. I've noticed more and more
> misfires and elisions, of late.
>
> >Sorry, I couldn't resist - it's a perfect setup.

Sith does happen, indeed.  :=)

> >I am having some lockups with my Robodog.  I thought they contained
either a
> >TM751 or an RR501 and showed that pedigree in the FCC sticker.  But I
looked
> >at the problem child and it's labelled B4SREX-10.  Do you think it's a
whole
> >new device or a reworking of one of the earlier two - or perhaps the
newer
> >transceivers whose number escapes me at the moment.
>
> The RF transmitter section of almost all X-10 RF devices is the same. I've
> seen a bit more variation in the receiver circuits but suspect most are
> still superregenerative designs which can be done with a minimum of
> components. However, with the CM15A, they went to third part daughter
boards
> for both.
>
> I'm really not familiar with the little doggie's features. Can you
describe
> the symptoms?

The problems seem very much like the endless DIM syndrome.  The "dog" fills
the powerline with signals that the ESM1 says are noise and the Monterey
classifies as (cringe) BSC's.  When it's happened, it's almost always
involved a TM751 - but oddly enough not one set to the dog's housecode.  It
happened long before the XTB arrived, FWIW.

I haven't studied it as closely as I'd like to because it's usually my wife
who's got that look on her face who reports that "the lights don't work" and
the implication is that they had better start working soon!

So I give a quick peek at the ESM1 and that usually helps me zero in on the
offender.  Sometimes it's the dog clogging the powerline, sometimes it's a
TM751, usually on the main housecode but not always.  If I am in a hurry to
fix it, and that's really been always, I make the circuit of the TM751's and
press all their on/off buttons.  When I find one that fails to respond, I
unplug it, replug it and everything's OK until the next time.  If all
TM751's are OK, I unplug the dog and then the mystery signals are gone.

One interesting clue is that it NEVER happens to me alone in the house.  I
suspect we're activating motion sensors or sending commands at nearly the
same time and something's getting locked in a broadcast storm, for reasons
unknown.  I have been unable to simulate the behavior, either.  In
explaining this I've decided to try one more test.  I will take an UR24A and
an EagleEye on the two different housecodes I use and sit with them together
and press buttons simultaneously.

--
Bobby G.