Re: splitting composite video signal

listerofsmeg01@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have several closed circuit cameras running composite video over
> RG59.
>
> The plan is to terminate these into a video sender so that I can
> recieve them anywhere in the house with a reciever.
>
> However, I would also like to feed them into a PC with grabber card.
>
> Can I just split the cable with a phono splitter or something? Or will
> this cause too much interferance and noise? If not, what do I need to
> be able to do this?

Phono splitters are evil.

As I understand it, you have several composite video cameras that are
cabled back to a common location and want to view the imagery from
several other locations in the house.

A possible solution is what I've done in a commercial environment where
there are computers all over the place, unlike a house where you have
simple television sets in different rooms. The composite video cams go
in to a switcher that has both a composite video and ethernet output.
The cams can be viewed on any computer on the network. Once you get the
composite video into an ethernet format, you have more possibilities for
distribution.