Re: splitting composite video signal

DecaturTxCowboy wrote:
> The composite video cams go
> in to a switcher that has both a composite video and ethernet output.
> The cams can be viewed on any computer on the network. Once you get the
> composite video into an ethernet format, you have more possibilities for
> distribution.

Can you expand on this a bit? What do you mean by "switcher"? Is this a
device that cycles through the various inputs on a timed basis?
In what format is the video put on the wire? Is it some standard like
MPEG-4?

The whole point of the split is to get imagery to my PC network too
(and to the Internet),  but the quality is not brilliant, and I really
wanted to have an easy to access good quality source on my telly -
hence the two seperate systems.

In my previous house I used to have the grabber PC use my telly as the
console. This worked ok, but it meant your had to chose camera sources
via a wireless mouse and keyboard which was a bit clunky.