Re: Video Server and Distribution

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 23:41:48 -0400, "E. Lee Dickinson"
<lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<e8jatp$5rb$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>On the day I went to buy some Media Center extenders, they all of a sudden
>were pulled from the shelves, everywhere. Apparently there's a version 2
>rolling out "someday," I imagine on a simliar time schedule to Windows
>Vista.

Microsoft Media Center Edition (MCE) is IMO a broken superset of XP Pro --
broken because support for the %$!# extenders is the 'feature' that precludes
using MCE in a domain-based network. I do hope they fix that in the next
release. The wireless video gizmo feature may actually become useful when
802.11n comes of age assuming that there aren't significant security issues
with it (too).

{I'm still grumpy about the way the license key for the OEM version of MCE is
provided  -- on a small non-descript sticker on the throw-away cellophane
wrapper of the software package -- and nowhere else -- that a certain helpful
person threw away while tidying up ...)

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org