Re: Video Server and Distribution

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Microsoft Media Center Edition (MCE) is IMO a broken superset of XP Pro --
> broken because support for the %$!# extenders is the 'feature' that
> precludes
> using MCE in a domain-based network. I do hope they fix that in the next
> release. The wireless video gizmo feature may actually become useful when
> 802.11n comes of age assuming that there aren't significant security
> issues
> with it (too).

Wireless video gizmos don't cut it.

90% of all the complaints I've seen about network media players come from
people using them on wireless networks.  When I do installs in houses, my
clients often look at the estimate, "Oh, we don't need network cable, we
have one of those wireless routers." I then show them the 10/T and 100/T
labels on the sticker, explain their meaning, and put wire in the walls.

Maybe 802.11n will make up for the speed difference moreso than G did. But
so far, cable in the wall has been dependable, cheap, and fast.

Moral of the story: All my network media players are wired.