Re: splitting composite video signal

"DecaturTxCowboy" <nono@xxxxx> wrote in message
news:CLTpg.60699$fb2.1964@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> listerofsmeg01@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> I have several closed circuit cameras running composite video over
>> RG59.
>>
>> The plan is to terminate these into a video sender so that I can
>> recieve them anywhere in the house with a reciever.
>>
>> However, I would also like to feed them into a PC with grabber card.
>>
>> Can I just split the cable with a phono splitter or something? Or will
>> this cause too much interferance and noise? If not, what do I need to
>> be able to do this?
>
> Phono splitters are evil.
>
> As I understand it, you have several composite video cameras that are
> cabled back to a common location and want to view the imagery from several
> other locations in the house.
>
> A possible solution is what I've done in a commercial environment where
> there are computers all over the place, unlike a house where you have
> simple television sets in different rooms. The composite video cams go in
> to a switcher that has both a composite video and ethernet output. The
> cams can be viewed on any computer on the network. Once you get the
> composite video into an ethernet format, you have more possibilities for
> distribution.

I run a pc in cellar for my cctv. Composite video signals run through cat5
cabling (via converters) to patch panel adj. The cctv software runs in full
screen mode with 4 cams on screen. TV out from the graphics card goes into
an RF Modulator from Maplins, this adds cctv to the main Arial input to the
TV distribution amplifier. Any TV in house put to channel 8 gets cameras :)