Re: My latest cool DIY automation idea

"IVB" <ivb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:gaFrg.4610$PE1.1569@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "IVB" <ivb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> can be accessed via the inwall touchscreens
>>
>> What are you using for touchscreens?
>>
> A Fujtisu 3400 tablet PC w/touchscreen. The first one cost me $250 6
> months ago, just picked up a 2nd one for $160 [both off eBay]. It's
> aesthetically "ok", responsiveness is decent but I needed to create bigger
> buttons. It's passive touch, so you can use your finger, but my wife opted
> to put a ballpoint pen with the tip removed on top of the frame as her
> hands are always messy since it's in the kitchen.
>
> I got pics of the whole install project here, haven't updated it since I
> buried the 12VDC line. Pretend the wire isn't there in the last pic, and
> you've basically got it.
>
> http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1012&highlight=wallmounted
>
> This is the interface set that I use with it. You can see how the buttons
> are a little bigger than what most would use.
> http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1429

I dig that. I was just about to drop some money on a few Harmony remotes. I
might have to get some tablets instead. :)

I'm still pretty proud of my kitchen cabinet screen
(www.leedickinson.com/projects), but need to move the computer out of the
kitchen cabinet. I'm having heat buildup problems and space issues.

I found a great balun online that carries VGA, USB, and stereo audio over
one line of Cat5.. for the low low price of $700!