Re: My latest cool DIY automation idea

> I can't think of anything with a lower spousal approval factor than a
> Robohome brain turning off the lights or sound because someone was sitting
> quietly minding their own business.

> The basic problem is most sensors will not see a person sitting quietly in
> chair as motion and they'll turn things off.  It's called the automation
> "wave" because people then sit there flapping their arms to get whatever
> the
> MD shut off to come back on.

All good points, one data point I didn't provide: We have a 4yr old and a
2yr old child. Literally the only time there's no movement in a room we're
in is when we're watching TV after they go to bed. My wife jokes that the
soothing blue Bosch BlueLine motion light is the real Big Brother.

In addition, i'm not looking to turn it off if we won't be in the room for
only a short period of time.

Here's the additions to the plan:
- If a DVD or the TV isn't on, then do those rules.
- Expand timeout to 15mins
- Create a "turn God Mode on/off" button that can be accessed via the inwall
touchscreens or a PC, perhaps even IR that also disables the rules. That
way, if there's an activity we're engaging in that is prone to false
positives, the whole thing can be suspended.

Perhaps I'm just naive, but I really do think that would expand accuracy to
 >90%, at least in our house. The "God mode on/off" button would tackle the
other 10%, and disable it.

Then again, I may report back here that it was a colossal failure. Time will
tell. Hey, at least this is an option available to me, whereas pre-HA it was
not.