Re: fluorescent bulbs + x10

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3fCdne9YrNES7SzZnZ2dnUVZ_qKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx

> <more stuff snipped>
>
> From what I can determine, the CFL *may* not absorb the X-10 signal to the
> extent that it won't turn on, but once it's turned on, the bulb generates
> local noise equivalent to the strength of the now severely attentuated
X-10
> signal and the X-10 switch controlling it goes "deaf" - at least to
signals
> from far away.
>
> Their are two clues that point to this being the case.  One is that the
bulb
> switches on, but not off, remotely.  The second is that bulb may turn off
> remotely if the controller is very close to the load and putting out
enough
> voltage to overcome both the CFL's "suck" factor and noise output.

We had one CF light that would miss its off signal maybe once a month.  But
it has not missed since the first XTB prototype was brought on line back in
April.

An inexpensive fix that has always worked for me is to add a Miller 5252 125
mH hash choke in the hot lead somewhere between the plug and the bulb.
Often there is room in the base of the lamp.  Be sure to insulate well with
shrink sleeving.  It's rated 3.5A, so there is no concern about replacing
the CF with an incandescent in the future.

Jeff