Re: fluorescent bulbs + x10

[re: CFL lamps turning themselves back on after a few seconds]

> i do have an inexpensive switch mechanism in the lamps (i took
> some vases and made them into lamps) ..could that be the problem?

Nope - it's the newer CFL lightbulbs.  They are able to relight themselves
via the trickle current used by the module to sense when someone jiggles the
local on switch (aka local control).

Two ways out:  Put a small nightlight or other load on the module along with
the CFL to absorb the trickle current or look up:

 "X10 appliance mod local control current sense diode snip"

in Google . . .

(oh, heck, here it is:)

http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/Modifying_Appliance_module.htm

and follow the instructions.

Downside is that either method makes it impossible to turn on the lamp by
using the lamp's built-in switch.  May or may not be a problem for you.

I found that using the power supply to my Creative PC speakers worked nicely
to suppress the lamp's relighting although I'd really like the CHA gurus to
figure out a way to do it without sacrificing local control.  Certain
fixtures and bulbs don't suffer from the problem but my experience indicates
that more and more fluorescents fixtures of both the 48" striplite and the
spiral CFL kind are likely to relight themselves.  :-(

IIRC, I read where someone had taken a module apart, stuck it in the lamp,
did the diode snip and then wired a pushbutton style lamp switch on the lamp
itself so that it triggered the module via the low voltage circuitry.

That way you have local control, but the lamp doesn't come back on by itself
because the current sensing diode is snipped.  Don't ask we *where* you tie
the lamp switch in on the module or where I read it.  The last time CFL's
flashing back on bothered me I did a Google search and vaguely remember
seeing the details.  I think you tie in where the X-10 three-way traveler
normally connects but again, you need to search to be sure.

--
Bobby G.