Re: x10 arrrrrrrrrrrrggggg

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:p5WdnT6ya8ylX0DenZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Sorry, I can't help with the software. It's not unusual for new X-10
>> > software to have problems.
>>
>> New?  Just new?  More like "all X-10 software".  The stuff's just junk.
> And
>> so's the hardware.
>
> I'll agree that some of the HW and most of the SW is junk, but if you
> understand the limitations of the system, there's nothing that even
> touches
> the price point.  It's an entry level system that most people can afford.
> lot of people can't handle anything much more complex than X-10, either.
> Insteon will probably supplant it, but very, very slowly.  The endless
> tide
> of used X-10 goods on Ebay tells me that there's an enormous amount of
> X-10
> stuff in circulation.  I think people will still have X10 gear running 10
> and maybe even 20 years from now.  I still have units that have been
> running
> that long.

I asked for a rundown of the various switches that were available, a few
months back. All responded very helpfully.

The price point is what did it for me. I ended up getting SwitchLinc+ two
ways. Scene capable, variable ramp rate, etc. Every feature I wanted. I
spent around $70 a piece on mine. They're now down to $40 as Smarthome
pushes the Insteon stuff. I didn't get insteon at the time because of the
relatively few number of devices available for it.

Anyway, I love my X10 stuff. The switchlincs blow the socks off the old
pushbutton guys. I have terrible power problems in my area, and the *lincs
haven't lost their address yet.

So. To each his own.:)

Oh. I did just buy a phase coupler from Martin, since I couldn't get my
projector lift* to respond properly.

*New thread on that coming soon. I know at least one person was interested.

E. Lee Dickinson
Entertainment Design and Technology
www.leedickinson.com