Re: translator question

news:43d96d96.395835687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip, snip, snip]
>
> >That's great!  I've posted just a little info about Rosetta in the ADI
forum
> >devices.  What concerns me the most about serial comms with the ADI
devices
> >are comments that I have read implying there's no command buffering and
that
> >if serial data comes in too quickly, it will be lost.
>
> I don't recall any problems. other than allowing for an X10 command to
> complete before sending another.

Guy Lavoie posted a program fragment that essentially spaced out the serial
commands using a timer.  I recall more than one thread where people
complained that the serial ASCII output was getting "lost" - some commands
would execute but others weren't.  I'll try to find the thread again.  I
thought the preferred way to perform that sort of I/0 was with handshaking
that said "ACK" thus confirming the receipt of a data packet.

> >> Think of Rosetta as a switchboard operator with a little less
intelligence
> >> than Ernestine.
> >
> >I'll bet there's a whole generation of young whippersnappers who have no
> >idea who Lily Tomlin is!  I haven't seen her on the tube in ages.
>
> She's the president's secretary on "The West Wing". You probably just
didn't
> recognize her in a (mostly) serious role. She also does a one-woman stage
> show with all of her characters from years past.

That show's forbidden at this house.  SWMBO actually worked at TWH for
*several* tours and finds it as utterly unbelievable as most cops find
police shows, most doctors find medical shows, most lawyers find legal
shows, etc.   I might have sneaked out to watch it had I known Lily was
acting!

I just saw someone talking about his kids seeing a dial phone for the first
time and having no idea what to do with it!  Ernestine and her ringy-dingy's
were lampooning the days when human operators placed all calls which was
probably comprehensible to our generation because our parents lived in that
world.  Now it's twice removed from reality.   Can you imagine if operators
still brokered all calls with phone plugs and jacks?

--
Bobby G.