Re: translator question

It will not connect to the ADI bus. The Ocelot can only deal with ADNET
devices it knows about.

It depends on how you want to arrange things. You can connect the Ocelot's
TW523 port to a Rosetta TTL port and connect the other TTL port to the TW523
and have Rosetta route some commands to the TW523 or translate them and send
them out a serial port to other devices (e.g. 2414S, UPB PIM). The Ocelot
will think it's talking to a TW523. You can tell Rosetta to send PLC to the
Ocelot in response to inputs from any other connected device.

Or you can connect the Ocelot's serial port to one of Rosetta's serial ports
and control everything the Ocelot is capable of doing with it's ASCII
protocol.

Or you can do both.

Rosetta  will understand the X-10 PLC (i.e. TW523) protocol, the CM11A
protocol, the 2414S protocol, the ADI ASCII X-10 protocol, the UPB PIM
protocol (and maybe a few more). For other ASCII protocols (including things
like telling the Ocelot to send IR) the user can specify what to send to the
appropriate port(s).

I used a simple ASCII protocol for the BX24-AHT X-10 functions. I'll try to
adapt that so you can use the same ASCII command to send X-10 to any
X10-capable device. I may be able to adapt it for UPB but I'm not so sure
about the 2414S.

The circuit board will only require soldering if you want to add the xPort
or the hardware RTC. There will be sockets for the ZX-24 and RTC chip, some
SMT components will be preinstalled but the super capacitor, xPort and 3.3V
power supply for the xPort will require soldering. The non-xPort part of the
board is powered from a +5V *regulated* power supply using a 2.1mm plug but
I'll also provide solder points in case you want to permanently attach the
regulated wall transformer to avoid accidental use of a higher unregulated
supply. I'm trying to use parts that are available from Mouser (except the
ZX-24) to keep it as simple as possible.

Some HA devices have their own RTC (e.g. 2414S, Ocelot) and Rosetta can use
those for backing up its native software RTC so the hardware RTC will not be
needed by eveybody.

Adding the xPort web-enables everything connected to Rosetta. There's quite
a bit of memory in the xPort for a web server and it is capable of sending
email but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Lantronix has virtual serial port drivers for the xPort - similar to
USB-to-serial adapters. This will mean that software written to talk to
Rosetta over the PC serial port can use TCP/IP with no changes.

I chose not to add USB because that would add about $15 cost. Not everyone
will need USB and those who do can buy USB-to-serial adapters for that
amount. I will test and recommend a USB-to-serial adapter. Some are not fast
enough to handle downloading new firmware to the ZX-24.

BTW, I also considered calling it Ernestine.