Re: translator question

I may have participated in that ADI forum thread. I sent ADI a prototype of
an RF module for use with the IR input about two years ago. They lost it
internally and never tested it. I didn't follow up as it wasn't that big of
a deal to me - I was merely offering them a free design they could use if
they wanted to do the necessary FCC tests.

ADI has an 8 character ASCII protocol for controlling the Ocelot via the DB9
RS232 port. It's on their website somewhere. It allows for X10 & IR control
as well as a few other things. I really haven't worked with it for a few
years so details are fuzzy. The BX24-AHT used it when interfacing with a
Ocelot. I used their binary protocol with Commander-X. John M. Jones who
mentioned the BX24-AHT in that other recent thread found and corrected an
error in the documentation for the ASCII protocol. I can email you a
corrected copy if you cannot find it on the ADI website.

Some examples...

     send B 11 once  +X011001
     send B ON once  +X011801
     send B DIM 5 times +X012005

But C-Max is the only way to do more complex logic. You really should read
Guy Lavoie's ladder logic tutorial for C-Max.

If someone releases a Zigbee based system that has a serial controller and
it looks like it will become popular and someone will loan me the controller
(and/or do the testing in case it's a simple ASCII protocol) I or users can
implement it. I suspect there will be a myriad of Zigbee systems, each with
its own high level protocol. As I said upfront I'm not willing to buy one of
every controller in order to add support to Rosetta. This is a DIY
non-profit project. The key to Rosetta is that it's really simple to do as
long as you don't have to write dedicated code for dozens or hundreds of
protocols. The memory in the ZX-24 is extremely limited.

The same goes for Z-Wave although I don't expect Z-Wave to be around for
much longer. In 2-3 years about all we've seen here are posts from dealers,
one of whom is so clueless that he thinks Intel incorporating it in their
proprietary version of uPnP (along with a few million other devices) is a
big deal. There has been a dearth of posts from Z-Wave users. I think its an
IPO play. Any day now I'm expecting to read that it's a big success in
Korea. ;)

Anything with an ASCII protocol that uses RS232 at 9600 bps or less and
doesn't require handshaking is already supported by Rosetta. In other words,
if you can control the device just by sending an ASCII string and there's no
need for ACK/NAK, etc. Rosetta can handle that without having any native
knowledge of the protocol. Examples are the ADI ASCII protocol and HAI's
ASCII protocol. Since I expect there will be some ADI users who will be
interested in Rosetta I will build in knowledge of the CPU-XA, Ocelot and
Leopard for X-10. Users will still need to use the ASCII protocol for
anything beyond basic X-10.

Think of Rosetta as a switchboard operator with a little less intelligence
than Ernestine.

You may need to find a neighborhood kid who can solder. Rather than add cost
to Rosetta, I'll provide instructions on how to replace the RS-232 cable on
an MR26 to bypass its voltage regulator and supply it with +5V *regulated*
from Rosetta. The cable has to be changed anyway to mate with Rosetta's RJ11
connectors for the four serial ports.