Re: is x10.com dead?

> Hi Bob,
>
> We had a few discussions years ago while you were still in Connecticut.
>
> The main problem is that many people don't understand how to put together a
> reliable X10 system.  Yes, there are problem loads that exist now that were
> never thought of back when the X10 protocol was designed.  So it takes more
> planning now than just plugging in a few modules and expect everything to
> work.

Jeff, always a pleasure.

The key here is that you planned this installation before
starting construction.  Done properly, X10 is functional.  Using
Leviton, you avoided most of the QC issues for which X10 is
infamous.  The problem, as I see it, is that most homeowners
don't have the luxury of planning and designing their electrical
wiring for optimal PLC performance.

Most jobs are still retrofits and for that IMO you can do better
using Z-wave or Radio RA.  I'm a little leery of the "Linc" stuff
due to low quality gear they've put out in the past.  I also
don't like their use of competition-bashing as a marketing tool.

I don't really market either of these lines.  That's just my
opinion, which is worth at least as much as I charge for it.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.