Re: is x10.com dead?

Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:13:00 -0300, Robert L Bass wrote:

>>> Oh they ARE unique, aren't they?  VERY good analogy for HA oddities.
>>
>> An old friend of mine used to drive one to work in Boston back in
>> the 60's.  They used to have an adjustable, air-oil suspension
>> system.  For city driving they would pump up and for highway
>> rides they'd slink down.  When he would shut the engine off the
>> thing would return to it's normal state.  One day he came off the
>> Mass Pike, drove several blocks and parked across the street from
>> his favorite tobacconist -- directly in front of a bar.
>>
>> As he stepped out the car made a hissing sound as it rose several
>> inches.  A drunk who had just emerged from the bar asked him,
>> "Excuse me mister but did that car just go UP"?
>>
>> My friend said, "Sure, don't they all?" and walked away.  :^)
>
>He might have purchased it from my uncle who had a dealership in NY
>state (not sure there were too many dealers in the US). He only sold
>the high end Citroens. I'm not sure they were air, I think they were
>just hydraulic.It was fun to change the oil on them as you had to
>remove a huge sheet metal plate to get at the oil pan. The plate kept
>water off the engine. Water and hydraulics don't mix well.

I think they were all hydraulic. I rode in one a few times between Paris and
the Loire Valley. They were very smooth even at very high speeds.

     http://www.actwin.com/toaph/citroen/work/work.html

They, along with the Saabs of that day, had the further advantage that an
accident usually improved their appearance.