Re: is x10.com dead?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:48:01 GMT, Dave Houston <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dream on.
>
>      http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6041685.html
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060221_730128.htm
>
> If you examine CERT security reports you'll find that Unix based systems
> have as many or more security problems as Windows systems. The fact that
> they represent less than 5% of desktop machines is the reason they seem to
> be less vulnerable.

They may have as many POTENTIAL security problems, but the facts are
that there are more exploits out there for Windows system security
problems.  That is probably due to Windows being a more enticing target,
but in actual usage it means I am less vulnerable by using Unix/Linux.

> Security through obscurity isn't likely to last.

Nope.  But published security reports are NOT obscurity.  And if/when
Unix/Linux systems become a popular target, I'll need to reevaluate,
but until then, my Unix/Linux systems are in practice far more secure
than Windows.

EOD

sdb
--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com