Re: is x10.com dead?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:53:32 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <0zqIf.396107$qk4.140793@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"AZ Nomad" <aznomad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> I'd like to see every company still selling X10 modules die.  I really
>>tire of the home automation industry sticking with that crappy 60 baud
protocol.

>Our Leviton light switches take several seconds to ramp up or down.
>Irrigation valves, pumps, and fans don't need high speed control.  Why do
>you need high speed for the things we control with X10?
>
>Have you ever really looked at what is inside one of these X10 modules?
>Aside from the mediocre construction, it is a tremendous value.  That's why
>they have achieved such good market penetration.
>
>Yes, there will always be a market for the expensive high-end stuff.  Just
>like there is still a market for vinyl records and tube amplifiers.  Some
>people want a $10,000 HA system so they can brag about its capabilities.
>We just want things to work.
>
>Jeff

Twenty (20)  INSTEON ICON dimmers, modules and(or) switches  + bridge +
USB/RS-232 controller + table-top controller cost about $530 at retail,
shipping included.

This is about 2/3 of what a fully Leviton X-10 system would cost and is
much, much more robust, and much faster (yes, fast is much better than slow
once you've experienced it).

The incremental cost over non-automated dimmers is less than about $400.

There is no additional installation cost for INSTEON compared to manual
dimmers  In fact, a house can be wired for INSTEON less expensively than for
conventional n-way switches because only a hot and a neutral are required
for any location to accommodate a remote switch for any load handled by any
INSTEON switch anywhere in the facility. This could entirely cover the $400
incremental cost of INSTEON over manual dimmers in a house with many n-way
switches.

So a 20-location INSTEON control system (less software) can be had for 0.0
to 0.3% of the price of a new home (US national median about $200,000).

Now that the ELK MG1 Gold supports INSTEON, one can automate a house (20
lights, thermostat, security, voice, limited video) for less than $1500 (not
including low-voltage wiring). And no 24x7 computer needed.

In other words, 0.75% of the price of the median new US house.

And the stuff *works* and, unlike X-10, will not decrease the re-sale value
of a home in my opinion.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org