Re: is x10.com dead?

> As soon as the others, including Insteon, catch up,
> X10 will fade away.

I'm not sure about that, Bruce.  After all, Nutone is still
making intercoms and Radio Shack is still selling electronics
equipment.  In fact, those are among the largest players in their
respective fields though there are certainly better brands /
vendors.

IMO, there will be a significant market for X10 for many years.
There will always be those who are willing to tolerate its short
comings considering its price.  Likewise there are and will
continue to be those with the skill and patience to make X10 work
in their homes.  Finally, with such a large base of existing
systems that depend upon X10 there will continue to be a market
for replacement and expansion hardware.

As more reasonably priced alternatives like Z-Wave come to the
fore, X10 may lose some of its market share but I doubt they're
going away any time soon.

I can accomplish much of what I plan to do in my new home with
X10 but I'm planning to use a combination of Z-Wave and
hard-wired controls instead.  In my case the decision is based
only partly on prior headaches with X10 and SH.  The other
element is I want to gain more experience with Z-Wave, which I
will eventually offer for sale.  I already know how to retrofit
wiring in an existing home so that's not much of a challenge.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.