Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

<craft.brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1165800725.427029.282670@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Pulling wire for a switch takes an afternoon. Debugging x10, including
> measuring the signal attenuation of every device in the house, ordering
> and installing filters where necessary, installing  phase couplers,
> signal boosters or repeaters, researching device compatibility (to
> avoid lock-ups, repeated dim commands, collisions, and assorted other
> problems), and then installing the actual devices, takes at least days,
> probably weeks. And, the jobs is never really finished since at any
> moment someone can plug in a device that will suck the signal and cause
> it to fail.

Having pulled several thousand feet of wire here, I am very familar with
what it takes to do hard wiring.  Sometimes adding a switch only takes a
couple of hours.  Other times there just isn't any easy way to get there.
I've spent my share of time working my way through that sea of insulation to
run a few more wires.  It ain't fun!

I don't understand why X10 seems to be black magic to so many people.  There
is one basic rule - get a decent signal to the receiver, and it should work.
We know what causes problems.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make it
work.

Many people "tweak" their system until they get it working.  Unfortunately,
their signal levels are probably barely adequate, and the next "unfriendly"
device causes another problem.  It probably took me less than an hour to go
through the last house and identify all problem loads.  I used a palmpad to
trigger a RR501 at a central location.  Then I went through the house with
the ESM1 checking signal strength at every receptacle that powered a
possible problem device.  I triggered an X10 command with the device
unplugged, and then again plugged in and on.  Any change was a reason to
filter it.  The bad guys were Lights of America CF bulbs, all computers, a
APC UPS, and the Sony TV.

One other significant issue with X10 is too much traffic.  Some people use
multiple motion detectors, and that is just asking for trouble.

Jeff