Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

First, I want to clear up a misconception.  The X10 signal sent down the
powerline IS essentially RF.  It is a 120KHz carrier that is switched on and
off in 1 mS bursts.  The XTB sends the boosted 120KHz carrier over the
powerline like any other plug-in X10 device.  It does not rely on any RF
transmission through the air.

What you say about the power distribution system being dynamic is very true.
It is also a very complex problem sending 120KHz over wires designed to
carry 60Hz power.  It turns out that the wire lengths and distributed
capacitance in a typical household distribution network can result in a
multiplicity of resonant circuits at 120KHz.  That will cause peaks and
nulls throughout the network even neglecting the impact from various noise
sources and signal suckers.  Any automation system that sends encoded data
over the powerline as an RF carrier must somehow deal with these issues.

The XTB takes a brute force approach, and just pounds out a stronger signal.
It has enough power supply behind it to deal with a few signal suckers.  If
you have a couple of wired X10 sources at the same location, their outputs
can both be boosted by a single plug-in XTB.

There is also the XTB-II, which is designed to be installed adjacent to the
electrical distribution panel to drive both phases directly.  It has
built-in TW523 emulation for a high-end automation controller.  And the new
firmware upgrade includes a repeater function so that all standard X10
signals received by the built-in X10 decoder can be re-transmitted in sync
with the second copy.

To answer your other question regarding monitoring what is plugged in, I
don't do that.  Known problem sources have been isolated with filters.  My
approach has been to insure there is sufficient signal level on all X10
circuits so it doesn't matter what is plugged in - even an occasional signal
sucker.  That works for us because there have been no recognized X10 control
problems in the last several months.

Jeff