Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>My preference would be an HA system that was ethernet based, used standard
>hubs and switches, allowed each switch to act as a mini-server, capable of
>generating and receiving messages and taking actions as well.  That switch
>would also be a lot smarter than any wallswitch around today.  It would know
>dark/light, current temperature and humidity at that location, have a mic, a
>PTZ camera, a PIR, an ultrasonic detector, a microwave emitter and detector
>and an LCD display.  All things that could be comfortably handled via
>ethernet.  It would also look just like a toggle switch - if you wanted it
>to.

Control4 was listing hardwired dimmer switches controlled over ethernet via
CAT5 cables but they were gone from their website the last time I checked.
They seem to change product lines monthly.

I still think HomePlug is the most likely winner. It's powerline but uses
some of the same techniques as their BPL technology. I expect reliability to
be high but cost is likely to be higher than Insteon or UPB but still lower
and more retrofittable than hard-wired.

http://davehouston.net